Learning simple picture taking techniques can create images that preserve our travel memories. Family snapshots with a posed “line up” are stagnant. Cell phone “selfies” can make faces and arms look distorted. Taking images that tell a story or sparks a fond memory is a skill worth developing. Creating interesting compositions keep precious memories alive for generations to enjoy.
Try some of the following techniques to improve your photographs. Incorporating these suggestions may elevate an ordinary image into a lasting memory.
- Let your image tell a story.
- Place your loved one in an environment that helps you relive the vacation.
- Have your family member as a small part of the scene.
- Aim for candid images by encouraging your subject to be spontaneous, be in motion or engaged in a task. This will add energy to the scene.
- Interactions such as laughing or gesturing add emotion.
- A loving gesture or an adoring glance can enrich a moment in time.
Decide if color is important to your picture. If color isn’t important, consider making the image black and white.
I did not feel color would have added to the impact of the above five images. Color adds a positive dimension to the next two images.